Feb 4, 2021
Job Alert: Equality NC is hiring a Policy Director
Policy Director Job Description
- Job Title: Policy Director
- Travel Requirements: Statewide
- Status: Full Time, Exempt
- Supervisor: Executive Director
- Place of Performance: Durham, NC
- Direct Reports: None
The Opportunity – About Equality NC
At ENC we envision a thriving, liberated North Carolina with a powerful LGBTQ+ community united in service of racial and social justice. Our mission is to build LGBTQ+ power through advocacy, education, and uplifting the stories of queer and trans North Carolinians in pursuit of racial and social justice. Join a team that is passionately committed to advancing the collectivelived equality for our most vulnerable populations and communities. Our organization has a close-knit culture in which we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion where each person is supported to thrive and grow together. Equality NC recognizes that historical and systemic inequity, especially institutional racism, is the root cause to problems we aim to solve. We acknowledge that it is impossible for us to fulfill our mission without creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our staff, partners, and people we serve. For more information about Equality NC, please visit our website.
The Policy Director provides vision and strategic direction for Equality NC’s policy and
advocacy agenda to achieve our mission. This position is primarily accountable for Equality
NC’s policy and advocacy with the North Carolina General Assembly and with North Carolina’s
executive branch and administrative agencies, but may also work with local governments and
municipalities, as well as participate in federal policy and advocacy where appropriate from a
state-based perspective. The Policy Director position works in collaboration with other staff,
particularly the Executive Team and the ENC Board Governance Committee.
- Direct Equality NC’s policy and advocacy at the state, local and federal levels, including identifying and participating in strategic opportunities to advance Equality NC’s policy agenda.
- Develop and implement Equality NC’s state legislative policy agenda, including overseeing lobbying efforts at the North Carolina General Assembly and participating in lobbying when appropriate; analyzing and tracking legislation that affects North Carolina’s LGBTQ community; drafting model legislation; attending legislative hearings during the legislative session and during the interim as appropriate; and providing written and/or oral testimony in legislative hearings.
- Develop and implement Equality NC’s executive branch policy agenda, including administrative lobbying of the Governor’s office and staff as well as administrative agencies to achieve administrative policy change benefitting North Carolina’s LGBTQ population; analyzing, tracking and commenting on state and federal regulations that affect LGBTQ people in North Carolina; drafting model regulations, policies and/or guidance; and attending agency meetings and hearings and providing written and/or oral testimony as appropriate.
- Seek opportunities for coalition work with movement partners that will advance LGBTQ justice and equality, including sitting on roundtables, coalitions and task forces; participating in and/or coordinating letter sign-ons as appropriate; and attending public events and rallies in support of movement partners.
- Create, develop, and deliver policy briefs, fact sheets, talking points, website content, action alerts, social media posts and blogs on priority policy issues to engage members, build community power and move constituents to action, in collaboration with the political and civic engagement director, the advocacy and elections strategist, and the communications director.
- Respond to media requests on policy issues, represent Equality NC at community events, and submit op-eds and letters to the editor in collaboration with the executive director and communications director.
- Work with the development director to identify grants and other funding sources, participate in funder meetings, and assist with writing grant proposals and reporting as needed.
- Participate in meetings with individual donors and corporate sponsors at the direction of the executive director and development director, including interfacing with board members as needed.
- Provide training and public education on policy issues to diverse audiences.
- Advise executive director and other key staff on priority policy issues.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- BA and JD preferred along with previous policy experience, especially in North Carolina
- Passion for the mission and vision of Equality NC
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative and administrative policy, law, and regulation processes
- Skills relating to analysis, research, writing and public speaking on complex issues, and the ability to communicate effectively about policy to diverse audiences
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including collaborative coalition work with community partners to develop shared strategy, coordinate internal and external communication, and navigate political dynamics among coalition members
- Commitment to collaborative teamwork to achieve common goals
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, cross-cultural competency and humility, and the ability to work with a variety of audiences (legislators, policy makers, community members, partner organizations, businesses, researchers, internal staff, etc.)
- Ability to stay organized and focused in a fast-paced environment where multiple priorities may have to be managed simultaneously and updated to adjust to demands that change quickly and frequently
- Willingness and ability to register as a lobbyist and maintain associated ethical standards
- Ability to work long hours during legislative session and to travel to other parts of the state
- Proficiency in Google Drive applications (Forms, Sheets, Documents, Slides, Drawings, etc.) preferred
Thrive in an intense, do-it-yourself, start-up environment. Ability to work well remotely, within a cross-functional team environment and with diverse communities.
- This position is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated policy advocate to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. As such, compensation for this role is competitive. The starting salary will be commensurate with candidate experience. The salary range is $60K-$70K.
- Health, dental, vision, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance
- Vacation, PTO, and holidays
- Matching 403(b)
How to Apply
Equality NC is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. BIPOC LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter. Your cover letter should express your specific interest in and qualifications for this role.
Please submit this information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. If the position is visible on our website, it remains open.