Jun 16, 2022
Equality NC Celebrates Executive Orders Protecting the LGBTQ+ Community
For immediate release
Shoshanna Carroll | Equality NC | firstname.lastname@example.org| 919-213-1451
Nate Fischer | Equality NC | email@example.com
June 16- President Biden signed a new Executive Order yesterday that will further extend LGBTQ+ protections and expand affirming policies across the country. Biden’s order will push forward LGBTQ protections by:
- Addressing discriminatory legislative attacks against LGBTQI+ children and families, directing key agencies to protect families and children; HHS and the Department of Education will be developing model policies that increase inclusion in education, and expand access to affirming LGBTQ+ and trans specific healthcare.
- Preventing so-called “conversion therapy” with a historic initiative to protect children from the harmful practice;
- Safeguarding health care, and programs designed to prevent youth suicide;
- Supporting LGBTQI+ children and families by launching a new initiative to protect foster youth, prevent homelessness, and improve access to federal programs; and
- Taking new, additional steps to advance LGBTQI+ equality
- Read more on the Executive Order here.
Kendra R. Johnson, (she/her) Equality NC Executive Director, said:
“We’re thrilled to see the Biden administration take these steps to protect our community. At a time when we’ve seen escalating attacks on our LGBTQ+ communities, these moves are deeply necessary. From the attacks on Pride in Idaho and hateful legislation to threats against drag performers in our own backyard, right-wing anti-LGBTQ+ extremism is threatening LGBTQ+ lives in every way. Our communities have been under extreme pressure this year, and in years prior, the signing of this order provides welcomed hope for us all. These executive orders will have even more impact for those living at the intersection of multiple identities, making our country safer for Black and Brown LGBTQ+ people, disabled LGBTQ+ people, LGBTQ+ parents, and more. These orders push us closer to lived equality: a time where people can inhabit all of their identities and thrive in our society.”
# # #
Equality North Carolina builds LGBTQ+ power through advocacy, education, and uplifting the stories of queer and trans North Carolinians in pursuit of racial and social justice. www.equalitync.org