May 23, 2022
Equality NC is Hiring an Organizer
ENC Organizer Job Description
- Job Title: Organizer
- Status: Full Time, Exempt
- Place of Performance: NC
- Travel Requirements: N/A
- Supervisor: Organizing Director
- Direct Reports: No
The Opportunity – About Equality NC
At ENC we envision a thriving, liberated North Carolina with a powerful LGBTQ+ community united in service of racial and social justice. Our mission is to build LGBTQ+ power through advocacy, education, and uplifting the stories of queer and trans North Carolinians in pursuit of racial and social justice. Join a team that is passionately committed to advancing the collective lived equality for our most vulnerable populations and communities. Our organization has a close-knit culture in which we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion where each person is supported to thrive and grow together. Equality NC recognizes that historical and systemic inequity, especially institutional racism, is the root cause to problems we aim to solve. We acknowledge that it is impossible for us to fulfill our mission without creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our staff, partners, and people we serve. For more information about Equality NC, please visit our website.
The ENC Organizer recruits, trains, and mobilizes volunteers as needed to carry out grassroots organizing plans. This includes phone banks, canvassing, rallies, teach-ins, petition drives, and other forms of grassroots action, including the formation of local core activist groups and volunteer leadership programs.
- Implement digital field organizing program designed to increase the number of activists in targeted regions
- Engage and grow our base of supporters, and build power for the LGBTQ+ movement
- Engage local progressive organizations and community leaders
- Build sustainable, community-organizing volunteer teams
- Supervise the development of supportive student organizations at local colleges/universities
- Help to recruit and mobilize key legislative or "grasstops" supporters in the region
- Complete timely data entry and management. Maintain and utilize the VAN (Voter Action Network) to track events and volunteers
- Contribute content for newsletters, web, stories, and media
- Provide preparatory assistance for meetings and special events as they pertain to public affairs
- Coordinate outreach activities including speaking engagements, and representation at meetings and events of civic, fraternal, religious, and social organizations
- Work with community partners to ensure meaningful collaborations.
- Keep informed of all aspects of political and legislative issues as they pertain to LGBTQ+ rights
- Build relationships with elected officials, political parties officials, candidates for office and their staff
- Help develop and lead trainings for ENC’s volunteers to better understand civic engagement and the importance of getting involved
Ideal candidates will have experience with at least four of the following:
- Local organizing in the region where you are applying to work
- Holding others responsible to quantitative and qualitative goals
- At least one big campaign victory on campus or in your local community - as a volunteer or staff
- At least 1-2 years as a volunteer or staff doing field, legislative, or campaign organizing
- Leading canvasses or phone banks
- Working knowledge of VAN, Excel, a computer language, or another tool for data management
- Comfortable with using technology including SMS, social media platforms, and voter databases
- Curiosity around new ways of organizing, using data, and building infrastructure for a long- term movement
- Ability to use personal stories to explain why you organize and move others into action
- Strong commitment to meeting deadlines and showing progress towards goals
- Exceptionally well organized and strong time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with people from different backgrounds
- Flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented
- Ability to meet tight deadlines under pressure
- Self-starter who could work independently and be a great team player
Thrive in an intense, do-it-yourself, start-up environment. Ability to work well remotely, within a cross-functional team environment and with diverse communities.
- The starting salary will be commensurate with candidate experience. The salary range is $40K-$45K.
- Health, dental, vision, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance
- Vacation, PTO, and holidays
- Matching 403(b)
How to Apply
Equality NC is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. BIPOC LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter should express your specific interest in and qualifications for this role.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. If the position is visible on our website, it remains open.