Feb 9, 2021
Job Alert: Equality NC is hiring an Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant to the Executive Director Job Description
- Job Title: Executive Assistant to the ED
- Status: Full-Time, Exempt
- Place of Performance: Durham, NC
- Travel Requirements: Limited
- Supervisor: Executive Director
- Direct Reports: None
The Opportunity – About Equality NC
At ENC we envision a thriving, liberated North Carolina with a powerful LGBTQ+ community
united in service of racial and social justice. Our mission is to build LGBTQ+ power through
advocacy, education, and uplifting the stories of queer and trans North Carolinians in pursuit of
racial and social justice. Join a team that is passionately committed to advancing the collective
lived equality for our most vulnerable populations and communities. Our organization has a
close-knit culture in which we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, fostering
diversity, equity, and inclusion where each person is supported to thrive, and having fun
together. Equality NC recognizes that historical and systemic inequity, especially institutional
racism, is the root cause to problems we aim to solve. We acknowledge that it is impossible for
us to fulfill our mission without creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our staff,
partners, and people we serve. For more information about Equality NC, please visit our website.
The Executive Assistant to the ED is responsible for providing comprehensive support to the ED,
Board of Directors, and Leadership Team and managing certain aspects of the organization’s
office operations. This dynamic position requires the ability to anticipate needs, think critically,
and offer solutions to problems with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Provide sophisticated calendar management for ED. Prioritize inquiries and requests while troubleshooting conflicts; make judgments and recommendations to ensure smooth day-to- day engagements.
- Act as a liaison and provide support to the Board of Directors. Arrange and handle all logistics for Board meetings and events: schedule meetings; draft agendas; develop, compile, and distribute presentation materials; and record meeting minutes on behalf of Board Secretary, as needed. Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding Board matters.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks that facilitate the ED’s ability to effectively lead the organization, including: assisting with special projects; designing and producing complex documents, reports, and presentations; collecting and preparing information for meetings with staff and outside parties; composing and preparing correspondence; maintaining contact lists; making travel arrangements; and completing expense and mileage reports.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the ED, including those of a highly confidential or critical nature. Prioritize and determine appropriate course of action, referral, or response, exercising judgment to reflect ED’s style and organization policy.
- Work closely with the ED to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Act as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the ED updated. Anticipate ED’s needs in advance of meetings, conferences, etc.
- Maintain open communications with the ENC team, including meeting regularly with the Leadership Team providing information and documents as needed.
- Coordinate all Leadership Team meetings and retreats and assist with staff meetings and events as needed.
- Provide "gatekeeper" and "gateway" role, providing a bridge for smooth communication between the ED and staff, demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust, and support with the Leadership Team. Complete projects by assigning work to appropriate staff, including the Leadership Team, on behalf of the ED.
- Work with the Leadership Team to coordinate the ED’s outreach activities. Follow up on contacts made by the ED to cultivate ongoing relationships.
- Provide event management support as requested.
- Answer main phone line and respond to inquiries.
- Process and distribute daily mail.
- Invest in building long-lasting relationships both externally and internally.
- Other projects/duties as assigned for the overall benefit of the organization.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong ability to execute work with a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens.
- Significant executive support experience, including supporting C-level executives.
- Nonprofit board experience is highly preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe, and Social Media platforms, and cloud-based environments (web-based applications)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail.
- High degree of professionalism in dealing with diverse groups of people, including Board members, senior executives, staff, community leaders, donors, and funded partners.
- Make appropriate, informed decisions regarding priorities and available time.
- Ability to complete a high volume of tasks and projects with little or no guidance.
- Ability to react with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require quick response or turnaround.
- Able to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Excellent judgment is essential.
- Ability to switch gears at a moment’s notice.
- Experience in Raiser’s Edge, events management, volunteer coordination, and/or fundraising a plus.
Thrive in an intense, do-it-yourself, start-up environment.
Ability to work well remotely, within a cross-functional team environment and with diverse
- This position is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated executive assistant to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. As such, compensation for this role is competitive. The starting salary will be commensurate with candidate experience. The salary range is $45,000 - $55,000.
- Health, dental, vision, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance
- Vacation, PTO, and holidays
- Matching 403(b)
How to Apply
Equality NC is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. BIPOC LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter. Your cover letter should express your specific interest in and qualifications for this role.
Please submit this information to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. If the position is visible on our website, it remains open.