Sep 27, 2022
Equality NC is hiring a paid canvasser!
Job Title: Paid Canvasser
Status: Seasonal, Temporary
Place of Performance: North Carolina
Travel Requirements: Statewide/Regional
Supervisor: Organizing Director
Direct Reports: None
The Opportunity – About Equality NC
At ENC we envision a thriving, liberated North Carolina with a powerful LGBTQ+ community united in service of racial and social justice. Our mission is to build LGBTQ+ power through advocacy, education, and uplifting the stories of queer and trans North Carolinians in pursuit of racial and social justice. Join a team that is passionately committed to advancing the collective lived equality for our most vulnerable populations and communities. Our organization has a close-knit culture in which we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion where each person is supported to thrive and grow together. Equality NC recognizes that historical and systemic inequity, especially institutional racism, is the root cause to problems we aim to solve. We acknowledge that it is impossible for us to fulfill our mission without creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our staff, partners, and people we serve. For more information about Equality NC, please visit our website.
ENC is hiring deep canvassers for its 2022 voter engagement program. Canvassers will be responsible for understanding the barriers that folks have had to voting and for helping to increase voter participation of Black, LatinX, and Native American infrequent voters in the 2022 General election. You won't be tied to a desk. You'll meet lots of people, and you'll make change happen at the grassroots level. Ideal candidates will be highly organized and accountable self-starters who thrive on person-to-person contact and bring a sense of humor and fun to their work. We’re looking for people who are passionate about having face-to-face conversations and are willing to do the work to bring people to the voting booth.
This is an hourly position with Equality NC, with a rate of $20. Canvassers will work approximately 15 - 20 hours a week depending on deliverables and contract. Work will be within Wake, Granville, Pitt, Alamance, and Mecklenburg Counties. This is a short-term position with an expected end date between the middle of November 2022 to the end of November 2022.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reach potential voters through knocking on doors, phone banking and/or text banking
- Meet metric goals for voter contact
- Provide information about the voting process and answer voters’ questions
- Fill out reporting as requested
Experience, Qualifications, and Skills:
- Commitment to civic engagement and desire to empower communities
- Reliable transportation with a good driving record and car insurance
- Must be able to work weekends and some evenings
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination status
- Experience using VAN/Votebuilder desirable, but not required
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and friendly personality
- Comfortable and confident talking to people of diverse backgrounds out in the community
- Experience working on issue or political campaigns a plus
Equality NC is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. BIPOC LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and a short interest letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Canvasser in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.