Jobs & Internships
Equality North Carolina works to secure equal rights and justice for lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender (LGBT) North Carolinians. The Equality North Carolina family of organizations includes the advocacy organization Equality NC, the educational charity Equality NC Foundation, and the North Carolina political action committee Equality NC PAC.
Equality North Carolina is an equal employment opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all interested persons.
Equality NC is Hiring!
Position: Director of Transgender Policy
This full-time, non-exempt position reports directly to the Executive Director
Some evening and weekend hours are necessary
Location: Statewide, based in Charlotte or Raleigh
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
Equality NC is dedicated to securing equal rights and justice for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) North Carolinians. To further its mission, Equality NC is hiring a brand new job position, Director of Transgender Policy. This position begins immediately. As trends continue to show increased violence and discrimination towards the trans community, there are also ongoing trends of anti-LGBT legislation, which are particularly heinous against the transgender community.
Accordingly, we want the Director of Transgender Policy at Equality North Carolina to coordinate and direct this work within the following areas:
● LGBTQ Community Engagement
● Public Education
● Public Policy Advocacy
● Faith and Business Diversity and Inclusion Outreach
Qualifications & Skills
● A passion for the mission and vision of Equality NC
● Commitment to collaborative teamwork to achieve common goals
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Previous policy experience, including research of pertinent issues
● Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to work with a variety of audiences is key (community members in crisis, partner organizations, business clients, internal staff, etc.)
● Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills. The ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively is vital
● Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
● Proficiency in Google Drive applications (Forms, Sheets, Documents, Slides, Drawings, etc.) is preferred
● Participate in organization-wide activities and help to create a sustainable organizational culture
● Evolve with us as we seek to better understand ourselves, our organization, and the community we serve
● Collaborate with staff and partner organizations to implement and evaluate an organization-wide membership program that meets the needs of our programs and services, as well as builds the base of support for ENC
● Represent ENC at community events
● Assist with advocacy efforts and community power building by moving constituents to action
● Advise Executive Director and other key staff on highest priority issues of transgender community, including health care policy
● Connect transgender individuals in need to resources available in the community and connect them with effective referral services
● Collaborate, coordinate, and develop with the Executive Director and other key staff to provide substantive and diverse community engagement, outreach, and education
● Work to build a membership base for the speakers’ bureau
● Create, develop, and deliver factsheets, talking points, website content, and be able to assist in strategic meetings to analyze statutes and statewide legislation
● Participate in panels, networking mixers, and trainings
● Provide reports and updates about the success and needs of the program
● Other duties, as needed
● Full benefits package will be offered, including matching retirement and generous paid time off
Deadline for applications is 8/10/2016. Position will be filled as soon as possible to meet the unique needs of the advocacy climate in North Carolina.
Please send your resume and cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications for this position to email@example.com with Director of Transgender Policy in the subject line. Cover letters should not exceed one page in length.
Equality North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ people, immigrants, women and people who are differently-abled are strongly encouraged to apply.